Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Cooking Challenge 2010 - Gorgonzola Stuffed Potatoes (Week 1)

The first recipe is in! This week we will make Gorgonzola Stuffed Potatoes. Feel free to try it and post your findings, reactions or comments! When I make it, I'll post photos and my reaction as well. Enjoy!

Gorgonzola Stuffed Potatoes
Makes 6
(from Katie Brown's Workshop)

Ingredients
6 medium sized Yukon gold or red skinned potatoes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons salt
6 pieces of aluminum foil
1/3 cup gorgonzola or blue cheese
1 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup heavy cream
¼ cup chopped chives for garnish (optional)


Get Cookin'
1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.

2. Wash and dry potatoes, and place in large mixing bowl. Toss with vegetable oil and salt. Wrap each potato individually with aluminum foil. Place potatoes onto baking sheet and bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until toothpick is inserted with ease.

3. Remove potatoes from the oven, remove foil, and allow them to cool enough to touch.

4. With a knife, cut quarter sized holes in the top of each potato and discard tops. With a small spoon, hallow out each potato. Reserve the potato flesh in a separate medium size mixing bowl. Make sure to leave some potato around the inside edges to help keep the shape.

5. Mix gorgonzola, pepper, and heavy cream with the potato. Stuff the potato shells with the mixture, mounding each potato with the mixture.

6. Return potatoes to a sheet tray and place under broiler. Remove from oven when golden or at about five minutes.

MY THOUGHTS
So, I forgot to take pics of this dish, but overall, I was underwhelmed. I was rushing and the one potato I ate wasn't done enough. I wish I'd added butter or something because it was a little on the dry side. However, I fixed the other potato (properly cooked) for someone else and they said it was alright when mashed with the rest of the potatoes.

If I try this again, I would probably doctor it up in some way.

RATING: *1/2 stars out of 5 stars

No comments: