I could feel myself snapping as I fervently typed the IM response, but I'd had enough.
A blast from my past at HU had popped up after standing me up during my Thanksgiving jaunt to New Jersey. After some small talk, he'd asked a question I never would have thought he'd ask in a million years: to fly up to Providence to spend spring break with me.
I was speechless. But not in the good way.
Me and said ex haven't had the best of relationships. We'd gotten over some serious issues that ended our relationship and managed to become friends in the year and a half since I graduated from HU (he's a senior there this year - yes, I was robbing the cradle). In that time, we'd had some great conversations, shared some laughs, and what have you.
So, when I found I'd be visiting New Jersey (his homestate) for Thanksgiving, I let him know, hoping we'd get a chance to see one another. Everything was set and then, as I drove the NJ turnpike, I started getting calls that eventually ended with him standing me up. I went on to visit Jarrod and said bump the whole thing because I was just tired of dealing with it all. That weekend I vowed not to call again.
I didn't hear from him again until today.
The IM started simple enough - small talk and updates on our lives. Then he asked about spring break. I had no clue what to say, so I just started saying what was on my mind.
The thought vomit went something like this: "so, you just want to come up to Providence to visit? I have to work, so you'd be stuck at home for most of the day. And I also don't want you to get the wrong idea that by coming to Providence, something is going to pop off. because it won't. If you want to come up and just kick it, with the full understanding that I have a job that can have me in the office late, and with the understanding that we are just friends and that there is not much in Providence to experience (though I'd show you around) and that if you stay through Sunday, you'd be in church with me, I would seriously consider letting you come. but I'd want to hear your thoughts, first."
silence.
Then, he sulks off, basically saying he'll be fine with just AIM conversations from now on. And that's when it hit me. Before, I would have been apologizing for being so upfront and for being so blunt and trying to cajole him. But sometime since I've been in Rhode Island, that old me was shaken off. I didn't want that chile coming up here thinking one thing when it was clearly going to be another. And really, I don't know if I wanted him in my house period because of the way he's been in the past.
So I didn't apologize. And I'm fine with that. Actually, I'm great with that. Because I didn't bend to fit what he expected me to do and I didn't compromise myself to accomodate him. The pain, the apprehension, the uncomfortableness, and having to stifle my feelings just wasn't worth having him visit. I know we would have had a great time, but that price was just too much to pay. So that's that.
It really is true that people are put in your lifes for reasons, seasons and lifetimes. My ex taught me a lot about life and love and I thank him for that. And we had a great friendship while it lasted. But, looking back on that IM conversation, it seems that season is over. And if it is, and if he stumbles across this blog, I wish him all the best in his future endeavors. But the season of me dealing with unnecessary drama and bull is over.
Tuesday, January 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
preach sista!!! I see you asserting yourself and not letting the bull ish infiltrate the greatness that is Thelma!
This is why you're so admirable, T-Dot. Let 'em know kid, you deserve better.
hurray for the new page... are you going to disable the old one? b/c what is the point of the new one if you just direct everyone to it via the old one?
and hell no you didn't want him in your house. you already knew what he was coming for. hence the word vomit. hurray for RI. if that's what it brings, i have a few friends i need to send your way! lolol
Love the new blog!! The colors make me so "happy"!!
okay, on to the post. I love it! I'm always a fan of being stright forward with people. It's cuts down on you having to deal with bs later on. Oh well if his feelings are hurt, too bad for him. This just shows how much you've grown and how much he hasn't.
HHHHHmmm...I'll just give you a "Hell Yeah!!" No further comment on the post. I don't have contact with ANY of my exes.
As far as the URL goes, I like it. Next step is to get a custom domain to put on top. I did a quick check and www.tdotb.com is available, as is www.twistedutopia.com!
Good luck.
I'm glad the new blog gets everyone's stamp of approval. To answer J's question, the old one is up because I knew not many people knew about the new URL. So I wanted to give those who don't read me as often a chance to find me. On getting a custom URL: does that cost money? If so, then I'm straight with blogspot. If not, tell me how!
And thanks to everybody who's weighed in on this. I was seriously considering writing him an apology e-mail yesterday to make amends for my rudeness, but not to apologize for my feelings. I didn't. And I'm glad I didn't. After he "cut me off" I wrote him and said that I'd still be here if he wanted a friend to talk to but that I wasn't going to beg. So that's that. So if he doesn't want to take advantage of the awesomeness that is being my friend, then that sucks for him.
Does it cost? Yes.
Cost much? No.
Basically you get it for at least a year. Purchase it through a company like www.godaddy.com, or www.dotster.com, or even yahoo. Some more I found are www.1&1.com and www.namecheap.com.
One piece of advice: If the company you choose offers it, I say spring for the private registration. Domain name ownership is public information, so anyone that knows the URL can find out name and address and phone info for the owner. The solution is private registration. This puts someone in between the world and you. Cuts down on spam and junkmail. It's not nearly as complicated as it sounds.
After that, it's just a matter of a few settings here and there. http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_use_a_custom_domain_with_a_blogger_account.html
Minimum $: 10 bucks for one year.
Maximum$: Varies, because the domain name registrars allow you to do multiple years at a time.
Post a Comment