Saturday, March 25, 2006

It's Official

I'm a Rhode Island resident.

Yesterday, I stood in line at the DMV for an hour and a half and surrendered my Virgina license in exchange for one from the Ocean State.

I planned to shoot a cool picture of me holding the license with my extended arm, a close up on the card, with me kinda blurry in the background. Then, I'd write:

"Ta-dow! How you like me now?"

But, as you can see, that ain't how it's going down today. Let me tell you why.

I took my eye test, registered to vote, became an organ donor and went over to the camera to take my picture. I'm waiting to the side for them to hand me my card and I see all these people walking away with papers - not licenses. I'm thinking, "No big deal. That was a kid. He was just getting a permit." Then it was my turn.

"Telya," the burly clerk barks from behind the camera/computer setup. I spring over to the counter, expecting to get my license, fresh from the printer, in my hand.

Instead, I got a printout of my license. On 8 1/2 x 11' paper. And a red stamp validating it. The man told me my license would be mailed to my address in about two weeks. I took the paper, confused at where things had gone wrong. I've had many an address in my day, but only two licenses: one from MI and another from VA. Everytime I went to renew or transfer my license, I'd go to the DMV, take my test, show some forms and walk out with a shiny new card. I had no reason to think my venture in Rhode Island would be any different. But, I should've known better.

After all, this is Rhode Island.

So, I walked out of the DMV, slightly dejected. I folded up the paper and put it in my wallet, praying I wouldn't get stopped so I'd have to explain. I can just imagine the conversation with the copper now:

"'You know why I stopped ya cah, ma'am," he'd say. "Let me have ya license and registration."
I'd fumble for my paperwork, and hand them to the copper, almost blinded by the flashlight he's shining in my face. He'd look quizzically at me, then at the paper, then back at me.

"Whaddya trying to pull heah, huh," he'd yell, referencing the flimsy paper that said I was allowed to drive in the state, coupled with my Mississippi license plate.

"Nothing, sir," I'd say, "Whatever do you mean?"

"I wasn't born yestahday, girl," he'd say. "You stole this car, didn't you? DIDN'T YOU?"

My mind would be spinning with images of me assuming the position on the hood of my car, about to be hauled off to jail. I could see the headlines now - "Reporter dies mysteriously after confusion during traffic stop."

My case would never be solved.

So, to avoid all of that, until I get my plastic license, I'll be driving slow, homie. Real slow.

In other news, I'm one step closer to getting renter's insurance. I got two quotes yesterday (I was very productive) - but they're both higher than everyone is telling me I should expect to pay. They're asking about $125 to $175 a year. I was told to expect about $50 to $70. I'm going to call around and check some other prices. I can't be having my new couch damaged by any apartment malfunctions, I know that.

Also, I've been informed that my "secret" is out. Sammie has been identified. Maybe it was changing my status on Facebook that did me in. Ah well. So much for trying to have some privacy. But since I've been outed, guess I'll give him a shoutout.

Hey, boo.

Think that's enough for now. If you need me, I'll be baking a cake for Sammie's birthday: Yellow cake with chocolate frosting. Behold my culinary skills and recognize.

Bow down.

11 comments:

CNEL said...

Aww I hate blogger sometimes, I write nice comments and they never show up. Then I have to come up with something to say all over again.

Piece of paper? The government is getting lazy or cheap. Here in MD instead of getting a full license, once you're done with your provisonal, you get a card which is attached to your license in the mail. Now that's some stuff, you pay an extra fee to get a card, not a license, probably a flimsy lil card. I haven't gotten mine yet.

Secrets, what are those? Are people even entitled to save some things for themselves anymore?

Everyone cooks but me, maybe one of these days I'll shop, stay in the kitchen on a lazy Saturday or Sunday, and do something. But I will have all the windows open, it's essential, can't have a fire drill all willy nilly!

Jameil said...

lolol! i happened to be over on "sammie's site" randomly and saw you had been busted which i must say CRACKED me up!! lol! yellow cake w/chocolate frosting? none for me thanks. btw sammie is a tow up nickname for a boo.

Veronica Miller Jamison said...

Oh, Jameil, leave her alone. It's not like she nicknamed him Ofus or Manzell. (Two other unfortunate souls, however, do have those monikers as actual names.)

Aw, Talia got a boo. :-) My boo will find me one day. I know he's out there... somewhere... probably saving for the down payment on our house....

Chris said...

yellow cake with lemon icing is a helluva drug...I say go with that.

Anonymous said...

Talia, I've been reading your blog for a while now...I don't know why I've never commented. Anyway I just wanted to say congrats on all you've accomplished.

It's great to see another person from Flint out here making it happen!

Darren Sands said...

Amen, Toya. Cause we all know that people making it out of Flint doing big things aint exactly a dime a dozen. Mateen Cleaves, Talia, and then, like that's it.

Vandy said...

Jim Abbott tops Mateen Cleaves. Dude had one paw, throwing no-hitters.

Erin E. said...

That story was hillarious with the copper..UM one question though, WHY do you have Mississippi license plates?LOL I think it's great that you and your boo are all out in the open...how cute!:)

Setta B. said...

That sounds about right for renter's insurance. The lowest I've paid was about $11/month in New Orleans. Here in New York, I pay $35/month.

So, this Sammie guy is official, huh? Suppose I should grill him on his blog. Gotta perform my big sister duties. I might even surprise him in the city one day. I know how he looks, where he takes classes...

Sherlon Christie said...

Hmm...I secretly told someone that you are Rhode Island's next star...I love when I'm right

T Dot said...

@ C-Nel: Sounds like Maryland is wack. I suggest you move. Now.

@ Jameil: The name Sammie has some significance. We'll just say it's word association with one of his favorite shows. I couldn't come up with something that corny on my own if I tried. :-)

@ Redbone/Duck/Open Market: I'm sad you have friends named that. My people. Goodness, my people.

@ Chris: I believe you, but the cupcakes I ended up making had me feening. So I'm happy with my decision.

@ Toya: I had no idea you read my blog! I hope things are well with you. :-)

@ Darren: Don't hate on my city and its natives. Remember -I'm from Flint, I can still beat you with one hand tied behind my back.

@ Vandy: I'm mad you know more random people from Flint than I do. You better just.

@ Erin: The reason I have Mississippi tags is because my car was bought by my step-father and it's registered in his name. He lives in the Magnolia state.

@ Setta: I guess I'll man up and get the insurance. I was just expecting like $70. Sigh. Being a grown up. And you better grill him! I need you to be my big sister...now! :-)

@Sherlon: Who'd you lie to? And don't get too comfortable spreading that rumor - it ain't nothing to transfer a license (as I demonstrated Friday). :-)