Monday, March 06, 2006

Bring yo' self!

What’d you do this weekend?

I traveled three and a half hours to do nothing this weekend for my vacation and it was fantastic.

Saturday after work, I hopped on a bus and rode down to the City of Dreams to kick it with my boy – let’s call him Sammie. He was going to try to cop some tickets to a Broadway show for free. I’m all about free, so New York it was. Turns out the tickets fell through, but I still had a good time. What’d we do, you ask?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I went 185 miles south to walk around the mall.

To shop at Trader Joe’s.

To go to Macaroni Grill (and write on the table with crayons).

To see “Dave Chappelle’s Block Party.”

To sit in his room and watch the Oscars.

To eat the dinner he cooked for me (teriyaki chicken, rice and fresh green beans – tasty like a mug!).

To cake like my name was Little Debbie.

One hundred eighty-five miles just to vacate with him. Just to kick it with him.

And I’d do it again.

Sammie and I have been talking for the last few months now, but this was the first real time we just got a chance to enjoy each other’s company. And I liked that feeling. We were so absolutely comfortable around one another. We talked about everything and nothing. We slept until 2 p.m. We ate candy all day and lounged. And did I mention he cooked for me? Just wanted to make sure ya'll took notice of that.

When it was time for me to head back home Monday morning, I didn't want to leave. Not only was it hella early, but I just didn't want to leave his company. Being around him makes me smile. I enjoy the way he makes me feel. Immensely.

As I relayed my weekend to a few friends, they seemed kind of disappointed that I hadn’t done more with my life over the past few days. They’d hyped up the visit and were expecting some grand story in return. But, I didn’t need to be doing something 24 hours a day to have fun. It doesn’t take that much to please me and the few things we did do kept me entertained.

And besides, doing nothing with him was better than doing something with anyone else.

6 comments:

Setta B. said...

Hmmm. Sounds staged to me. Did you tell him to check your blog at 7pm? Trying to score brownie points?

Well, I'm glad you had a wonderful time with Sammie. Sometimes, doing nothing allows you the opportunity to really get to know someone.

cherry's kid said...

I'm glad you had a wonderful time! I took a long drive myself this past weekend to Baltimore to hang out with my friend (we'll call him Ronnie) and it was great too...we did absolutely nothing...shopped at BJs, ate Quiznos, laughed at people, watched tv, listened to music, and fell asleep...it was great...I refuse to talk about him on blog though cause I don't want to jinz it! Is that crazy?

T Dot said...

Girl, naw that ain't crazy. I was thinking twice about posting this one, but I figured - hey this is a part of my life, so why not share it.

Unknown said...

I KNOW WHO SAMMIE IS!

Awwww, that was cute! Glad you had a good time! Its fun, sometimes, to just do NOTHING!

Veronica Miller Jamison said...

Ain't nothing better than hanging out with a cool guy and being able to really, actually, by definition, just chill.

...because we all know what most guys mean when they say they "want to chill."

And I would be me if I weren't random. Randomness, in fact, is my calling.

:-)

Jameil said...

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! somebody else has it bad! lolol. i did the same thing. and it was only for a day. i never want to leave.