Friday, May 08, 2009

This is it?

So, I promptly ended my Facebook fast about 17 minutes ago.

It was pretty anticlimactic, I have to say.

I never believed I was an addict, but I did frequently check Facebook and Twitter to pass the time at work. Then my sister issued her challenge. And I realized they are all just serious time wasters and not as interesting as I originally thought.

In the days when Facebook was forbidden, I longed really, to just post my pictures from the Cancer race and receive the accolades that I'm sure would pour in on account of my accomplishments. In its absence, I turned to my blog to post about my triumph. I Google chatted with friends and basically just told them what was up. That was cool.

But when I logged on today, first I wasn't about to take the time to post my pictures (I'm on the clock, afterall). So I cleared out my inbox and checked my friend requests. Some parties in Atlanta and Virginia that I'm not going to. One person wrote on my wall. I was tagged in two pictures. Not super exciting stuff.

I gotta say I was disappointed. I think my hiatus from Facebook made me think it was so much more than it really was. And now that I see it for what it is, it's just kinda like a letdown.

All that to say, I'll be back on Facebook probably this afternoon, checking up on friends, posting pictures and possibly playing WordTwist. It's a time waster, but hey, I like it.

3 comments:

Setta B. said...

Of course it was easy for you. You had other substitutes. You had coping mechanisms in the form of Google Chat and your blog. Being a social network addict is more than Facebook. Your other outlets filled the void. However, my challenge wasn't as holistic as it should have been. I'll also let up. You're not an addict but I do recognize that you like your social networking quite a bit! :)

Setta B. said...

Wait a minute! You didn't even do a full week. None of this counts, missy.

T Dot said...

The agreement wasn't a full week. You specifically said Thursday. I waited until Thursday. Don't try to change things up now just because I was able to complete your little challenge with flying colors! My blog has been around forever and gchat isn't so much social networking as talking. The way you're talking, seems a holistic challenge would keep me from doing anything but face to face communication!