Monday, August 28, 2006

An Open Letter

To you (you know who you are):

I know you see me.

Because I sure enough see you.

I see you - with your Super Bowl sized shopping cart filled to the brim with baked goods, Aquafina and raw beef - trying to pretend you don’t see me. But I’m right there, standing behind you in line, a bag of frozen salmon beneath one arm, an eight-pack of muffins beneath the other and a bag of shrimp in between my first finger and thumb holding on for dear life.

See me?

Yeah, I’m the one whose eyes are throwing daggers your way.

I shift the frozen fish beneath my arms as you take care to load your 16 pack of hot dog buns onto the conveyor belt. You pick through the bottom of your never-ending cart to pass more items toward the cashier.

Triple chocolate cake.

Tyson’s Hot Wings.

Jumbo-sized Shampoo.

Batteries.

You make me sick.

You and people like you. You’re the person who decides to wait until the end of the month to stock up on everything you need in life and then jump in the express line at Sam’s Club. As you unload your purchases, I, or someone like me, come up behind you.

I just ran in for a few items. I hadn’t expected to be in line for that long. I didn’t even need to pick up a shopping cart. I could hold it all in my hand. It's going on 15 minutes in line.

My arms are going numb now. You don’t seem to care.

Instead of saying, “oh, you can go ahead in front of me since you only have a few items,” you stubbornly continue to unload your cart onto the moving belt.

A 15-pack of college ruled notebooks.

Toilet paper.

Anti-freeze.

Truth be told, I probably don’t have the right to be mad. You were here before I was, standing in line a whole two seconds before me. It’s only right I should wait while you pay for enough supplies to last your family through winter hibernation.

Clam chowder.

Coffee creamer.

A folding lawn chair.

Rightfully or not, I am mad. I’m steaming, actually. I try not to let it show on my face as you look toward the back of your cart, averting your gaze to keep from locking eyes with me.

My salmon is on the floor now. My muffins, on the display of Gatorade to my left. I watch you unapologetically. I want you to see me staring at you.

I want you to see me waiting.

Twin-packed loaves of bread.

A dictionary.

A rotisserie chicken.

Finally, you make your way up to the checkout. The cashier swipes your card and begins transferring your purchases to an empty cart nearby. I move forward and place my seafood and muffins on the conveyor belt, being careful to put the plastic separator between our orders.

I look down to dig into my purse, so I can have my debit card and membership card at the ready when its finally my turn. As I raise my head, I wonder to myself what is taking so long.

My gaze finds you hunched over the credit card machine, but you’re not swiping plastic.

Are you really writing a check? No. Not now. Not today. Not ever.

You tear the perforated edges and hand the slip to the cashier, glancing back in my direction.

Oh, you want to see me now? What do you expect, a polite smile?

If so, you need to keep looking because you won’t find one here. I despise you and people like you. You make life hard for single people like me who just want to run into the store and grab enough fixings to make a bowl of spaghetti or a simple seafood supper tonight. If I hated things, you’d be at the top of the list. You and all of your groceries.

I hope the bad things in life happen to you and only you, inconsiderate grocery line person. You make me sick.

Sincerely,
T-Dot

8 comments:

Veronica Miller Jamison said...

Notebooks and a dictionary? They just trying to make sure their kids are prepared and don't end up on the short bus. And judging by the folding lawn chair, they're probably looking forward to shuffling the little rugrats off so they can have some rest and relaxation.

In fact, I bet the batteries play a role in that too.

Cut 'em some slack, T. Dang.

:-)

Jarrod said...

At first I thought you were stalking people in the supermarket and I was gonna say it's time for an intervention. But, you just experienced the supermarket equivalent of road rage. I mean who still pays with a check? And why is it that person is always in front of you? Side note...I see you quoting my man Chappelle. Didn't think I'd peep that did you. Well...hate on Buford, hate on.

Madam DLBG said...

OHMYGOODNESS...me and my friend just had a convo like this about someone in front of us the other day...and it was SELF CHECKOUT!!!!

Yo, u had a righ tto dagger, be angry, AND (if you wanted to) make small irratable throat clearing and coughing noises to show ur EXTREME upsetedness (yeap, i turly made that word up).

Tell em y u mad T Dot, tell em y u mad!

GreatWhyte said...

Dayum, how do you REALLY feel? I can't say much, I'm that person. If the line says 10 items or less, I always have 12. But my question is this: you went to Sam's for some shrimp, salmon, and muffins?

Lois E. Lane said...

Hi there. I'm one of Jessie's friends (dcvandal). Great post! It reminded me of a blog my friend goes to every day. You might get a kick out of it: http://fergis.wordpress.com/

Jameil said...

oh i'm laughin my ass off right now. ALL the bad things in life t? word? hilarious. i hate those folk, too. but usually they let me go in front of them. sometimes the hibernators throughout the store help me by piling that one more item i was trying to grasp on top of my pile as i stagger to the line. SAFE! to those of you who don't, i'm watching you!!

T Dot said...

@ Duck: It ain't about what she was buying. It's the principality of it all. Therefore, no slack will be cut.

@ Jarrod: I knew you'd catch that reference.

@Madam: *Raises fist in solidarity*

@ X: The salmon comes in like a 20 pack of individually frozen filets. The shrimp is in a big bag fully cooked, so i can just put it in my dishes. The muffins, as any Costco or BJ's frequenter can tell you, are fiyah.

@ Vdizzle: Smack on, girl. Smack on. I won't be mad at you.

@Lois: I read the blog - hilarious! Thanks for visiting. Come back often!

@Jameil: See? I like the people who let you in front of them. They get love, hugs and gum drops from me. The other people? They get all the bad things in life. Period.

GreatWhyte said...

Yeah, the muffins are okay, but I had to cut them out because they have like a zillion calories :( Oh well, guess I'd better start bracing myself for all the bad things in life.... and just when I was turning that corner!