I swear I'm about ready to stuff all the money I have into a mattress just so I don't have to deal with banks anymore.
It all started last week when I went online to buy a gift card for my sister. Visa has this nifty thing where you can just put money on a card and the recipient can use it as a credit card. So, instead of me having to wire money to my sis for our mother's present, I could just send the gift card at minimal charge. Sounds good, right? That's what I thought. Then, I get an e-mail from the bank saying they needed verification of my address - a utility bill or license.
Are you serious? I called the customer service people.
Me: "Hi, I ordered a gift card and now I'm getting this e-mail requesting that I fax verification to ya'll? For what?"
Service lady: "I'm not sure ma'am. It just says that before it can go through, you have to send verification."
Me: "It ain't enough that I'm calling you to verify my information?" (by now, I'd given her my address and everything)
SL: "No, it says you need the documents."
Me: "Well I don't want to do that. Can I cancel it?"
SL: "Yes, but there'll be a $15 fee."
Me: "For what? You know what, let me speak to a manager."
By now, I'm heated because cats is trying to charge me money that I don't have for a card that I didn't get to use. So, I speak to Olivia, the manager on call. I tell chick the scenario and Olivia tells me that there would be no charge because the card hadn't been authorized yet. I'm like, cool, let's cancel the joker then. I get a confirmation number and I think everything is lovely.
That was Saturday.
Tuesday, I go online and check my balance and I see a $100 deduction from the gift card people. Say what? So now, I'm irate. But I'm at work, so I gotta chill. I didn't get a chance to call them until Thursday, when the conversation went something like this.
Service Lady: "How can I help you?"
Me: "Yeah, I canceled this gift card on Saturday, ya'll took the money out of my account on Tuesday and I want to know what's going on."
SL: "Let me see if I can figure things out."
Chick proceeds to tell me that they deducted the money and have cut a check in the amount of $85 that is in the mail as we speak.
Me: "$85? Why is it $85? I bought a card - that I cancelled - for $100; not $85."
SL: "Well, there's a $15 charge for cutting the check."
Me: "Oh, I see. Let me talk to the manager. I know you've done all you can. Let me talk to a manager."
So, this chick finds Iris, the manager from hell, to speak to me. First thing comes out of her mouth:
Iris: "Hi, we've already sent your check for $85 and we can't refund your $15 because the notes in the account say you refused to send in the verification."
Me: "Hold up. Why are you being so rude to me."
I: "I'm not being rude, I'm just telling you that we can't override the fee because you refused to send in verification."
Me: "I didn't refuse, I asked what the information was for which ya'll couldn't give me a vaild reason for. If I knew I'd be charged, I woulda sent the stuff in. When I spoke to Olivia on Saturday, she told me there wouldn't be a fee because it was still waiting approval."
I: "Well, the fee has been charged and it can't be reversed."
Me: "well what's the $15 for?"
I: "We already cut the plastic for the card, so that fee is for the reimbursement for that."
Me: "How were ya'll already cutting plastic for my card if you were waiting on verification of my address before you put the order through, Iris?"
I: "We've already sent the check in the mail. You should be getting it in a couple days."
Me: "Alright, Iris, is that your name? Is there someone else I can talk to - someone higher than you?"
I: "No, I'm the highest manager on duty right now. But you're welcome to call corporate."
Don't test me, Iris.
I filed two formal complaints with the corporate office, one for Olivia and one for Iris. Then, I filed a grievance with the company to get my $15. I also plan on writing a very strong letter to the people at the bank telling them about my situation. Hopefully, they'll see my side of things and refund my money. Maybe I'll even get a free giftcard or something. Whatever happens, I know one thing - next time I need to send money I'mma just buy a money order cause this ain't worth the hassle.
Saturday, December 17, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Yesssssssss! I love when we go through all the appropriate channels and take it as high as it can go!!! That's that hotness!! They always try black people b/c they know all we'll do is yell and scream. Get it girl!
Damn that, I would've yelled and screamed, and then threatened her. That might explain why my money IS stuffed in my mattress. But I digress, kudos to you for not acting colored.
be nice to the tellers...they have a hard job..
The tellers in both situations were great. They did their jobs. It's the managers I have beef with. Bastards. I got my check for $85 in the mail today. I'mma call them tomorrow to see what's up with my claim.
I didn't read the entire post. You know I work for Visa's competitor. I'm glad you had a hard time!
Love,
Your sister
Post a Comment