So, this show, "Battle of the Network Reality Stars," just dumbfounds me.They take stars from Real World, Road Rules, America's Next Top Model, Survivor, American Idol, the Bachelor, Average Joe, Joe Schmo, Amazing Race and the Apprentice and have them compete in wild and crazy games for viewers' entertainment. I was sitting there watching these "celebrities" scurry around an obstacle course when I realized something:
If I become a reality TV star, I never have to work another day in my life. I can just do challenges against other has-beens instead of holding down a regular 9-5 like everyone else in the world.
And here's the best part: people like me, with nothing else better to do, will actually watch it.
I'm not against reality shows. Sometimes they are actually good. I hardly ever miss America's Next Top Model. But, what I am against is people deciding to make their living by sucking the life from people like me who just want a little bit of quality television on regular basis. Real World/Road Rules challenge was cute - the first time they did it. Now, there's all these spinoffs and all the networks have gotten in on it. MTV, Bravo, VH1 - Boys vs. Girls, Inferno, Surreal Life, Celebrity Fit Club - and now this crap. I mean, for real, what would The Miz, Jackee, Omarossa, and Richard Hatch do if they couldn't do challenges? How crazy would it be if they had to work at, like, a fast food restaurant instead to pay their bills.
"Hi, this is Coral from MTV's The Real World. Welcome to McDonald's. Can I take your order?"
Oh, and if I see one more reality star hosting a television show I do believe I'll just break down and cry. Yoanna on Bravo's "The Look for Less." Melissa on Spike's "Girls Behaving Badly." Even Kit from the first Road Rules was a reporter for like Entertainment Tonight or something like that. When did letting someone tape your life for a few months equal instant stardom? What ever happened to hard work, preparation meeting opportunity and all of that jazz? Where is the justice in all of this?
There are some things, I guess, we'll never know. I guess we can all take comfort in knowing we help these "stars" pay their rent each month. Ain't that about nothing.
No comments:
Post a Comment