Monday, June 18, 2007

The Interview

I begged Jameil to interview me (even though I'm a day late and a dolla' short). Everybody is getting in on the fun. If you to interview me, just holla at me. Wanna be interviewed, likewise (though I'm sure everyone and their momma has already been interviewed by now).

1) what was the best date you ever went on?
I haven't been on very many dates, let alone good ones, so I suppose my best date was when I was at HU. It was with this Alpha from Norfolk State that I met at a greek party. Robert was tall, dark skinned, bald and had a megawatt smile. At the party, we talked for a while (because I'm not one to dance a lot) and he was just really funny. Exchanged numbers and - surprise - he calls. We agree to meet in Norfolk for dinner and chilling. We go to Mary Alice's (Hampton ppl help me out -- the soul food place where Waterfront performs in Norfolk near Jillians) and have a great time. The restaurant has a live jazz band so we had some ambiance. I find out dude is even more interesting than I originally thought at the party. The night is still young when we finish our meal, so we head over to Jillians for some gaming. Jillian's is kind of like Chuck E. Cheese for adults - but no ball pits. Anyway, so we head over and play skee ball, a rowing game (my arms hurt afterwards) and some shooting games. We stayed out for a while, just kicking it. Afterward, he drove me to my car and we parted ways, promising to hang out again soon. That was senior year. I don't remember all of the details, but I think I went out of town and when I came back, hooked up with an ex or something else ridiculously stupid like that. Robert called me a few times and we talked, but never got a chance to get back together.

2) i remember one of the people from your freshman year internship talking about how amazing you are, so I know you're ambitious. What is your long-term goal?
To be happy. Seriously, I'm still figuring all of that out. I think I'd like to spend some years at The New York Times. That might be cool. And I know I want to travel. And win a Pulitzer - or at least a Livingston Award. Other than that, I just want to tell some good stories, whether they be in West Warwick, R.I., New Orleans, or Pierce, Idaho. That's my long-term goal.

3) you know how we're all starting to feel a bit old for most popular music? what do you find yourself bumpin anyway?
I feel completely out of date, so I don't even try anymore. I thoroughly detest Pretty Ricky, so that pretty much rules out any Hip Hop station within a 150 mile radius of Providence. A wonderful friend of mine burned the entire Outkast library for me so I've been bumping that for a bit. (Disclaimer: I had all of the CDs but in 2004, my car was broken into an they were stolen. I hadn't gotten around to rebuying them. I know it is a cardinal sin to burn Outkast, but I figured in this instance, it would be okay.) Bumping Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor. Dietrick Hadden's 7 Days, WOW Gospel 2006, some mix CD's I've accumulated over the years (thanks Shida & Mike), and Group 1 Crew.

4) what's your favorite city and why?
I think my favorite city has been and always will be Washington, D.C. The district holds just so many great memories for me and everytime I go there, I learn something new about the city I love.

5) who's your favorite comedian?
I think probably Richard Pryor. I haven't heard everything of his, but what I have heard is always fantastic. And his standups? Genius.

13 comments:

Veronica Miller Jamison said...

Ooh! Ooh! Interview me! I need something to post.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Um...I'm offended that I have not been interviewed yet. Let's correct that.

Mau said...

Mr. O, I'm not sure anyone's going to want to interview you. You have just too much of a negative attitude.

I, however, am expecting that call/e-mail anytime now. The interviewer can reach me at mau@imsayin.com.

Yeah. Do dat.

Setta B. said...

I want to be interviewed too. T, are you facilitating this. Duck, Mr. O, Mau and I want to be interviewed. Are you doling out the assignments?

T Dot said...

Man, I just wrote out all these questions then lost the comment. So you gotta take what i can remember. Sorry.

Duck:
1. You've done chocolate city -- what's next for you and your career? What zip code stikes your fancy?
2. What would you do if you were in a horrible accident and could no longer dance?
3. What's with the Beyonce fetish? You're 10 times cooler than her.
4. What on your life list (things to do before you die) would surprise us? Do you even have a life list?
5. You can go back and repair any relationship (friendship or romantic). Who would you choose, why and give us the skinny on the break?

Mr. O.
1. Why do you seem to be so passionate (read: angry) about so many things? Does anything make you happy?
2. Are you homophobic? Explain.
3. What's something new you learned about your wife today?
4. If you had to pinpoint a significant event or experience in your past that made you the person you are today, what would it be?
5. What's one thing you wish more people knew about you?

Mau:
1. How did you know your wife was the one?
2. Give us details on your most embarrasing moment.
3. What is your theme song and why?
4. If you couldn't do your current job, what would you be doing for a living?
5. You're writing a letter to your 18 year old self. What advice do you give him?

Setta B:
I'mma get your questions tomorrow. It's getting late and I gotta think of some. I promise I got you sis. I promise. I still love you!

Jameil said...

its been a while since i was interviewed by a reporter (i talk to them all the time but that doesn't count) so you can interview me too. love your best date ever. sounds so fun. and i love that chapter of alphas. they were always so cute. man i had to buy outkast on itunes i love them so much! and i love your goals.

GreatWhyte said...

Umm... I think it was called Alice Mae's. Best chicken yok in town.

Chris said...

Allow me to submit this recommendation for your Richard Pryor fix: The box set of his complete Warner Brothers recordings called "And it's deep, too!" You will laugh your ass off for six hours straight, guaranteed. And yes, you can interview me as well if you like.

Jarrod said...

Aight Buford, I'm givin you the keys to the car. Go head and interview the kid.

T Dot said...

Setta B.
1. When and why did the travel bug first hit you? Where is next on the agenda? What places do you want to see before you die?
2. What are you self-concious about? Indulge me if you've answered this one before.
3. If you could change one thing about any relationship you have (friend, relative, romantic) what would it be and why?
4. What would you change about your current situation (image, job, money, housing, relationships, whatever) if you had the chance? What would you not change for the world?
5. One of your resolutions was to get closer to God. How is that working out for you? Be honest.

Jameil
1. Were you always a stylish kid or did something happen to make you into the fashionista we see today?
2. Share a moment with us that forever shaped who you became today. It can be sad, funny or just reflective. You choose.
3. You're dying. What do you want for your last meal and why?
4. You, too, are extra confident. What are you self-concious or less than confident about?
5. What do you want your legacy to be?

X: I think you're right. And I loved their catfish! And I think I'd die for some hush puppies at this very moment. :-)

Chris
1. What's the most important thing in life to you? Why and give us the story behind it.
2. Where would you love to report - and on what? (No boundaries)
3. We all want to be happy. What would do it for you?
4. Embarrassing story from high school. Come with it.
5. Give us five things that make you happy about yourself. And explain why they do what they do.

Jarrod
1. Do you sometimes wish you could tame your mouth and not say half of the (ignorant or hurtful) things that come out of it?
2. Why don't you give people presents? I believe in all of the years I've known you, I've never gotten a birthday or Christmas present. And go deeper than just "I never know what to give." That's a copout.
3. So we all know that things aren't popping like popcorn in Va. Where is next for you? What is next for you? How do you plan to get there (and don't say in a car or something else equally ignorant)?
4. You keep saying you're gonna get your life right before Jesus comes and finds you "butt naked in a hotel room" or something of that nature. What are you doing to make that happen? What's been the hold up?
5. Describe what you want your wife to be like.

Mau said...

OOOhhhhhhhhh...that girl GOOD! She Good!

Girl, you should be a reporter, or something. Ask questions like this for a living. Know what I'm sayin'?? Get paid for it.

Oh yeah...

Jarrod said...

1. Why be a reporter? The pay sucks and you'll have to move around a lot until you can make some serious money.

2. Does your relationship with your father (or lack of one) factor in to the type of men you date?

3. If you hadn't grown up in Flint the way you did, would you be the same person you are today?

4. What effect did that "situation" at Hampton have on you?

5. On some real shit, how sexy am I on a scale of 1-10?

Darby said...

heeeeeey DC and memories!!!!