Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Nah, seriously?

One of my coworkers told me I was looking pale these days and needed a tan.

*crickets*

Now, before you ask, yes, this coworker is black and yes, she is lighter than me.

I didn't really know how to respond. I mean, even in the dead of winter, I'm a good shade of mocha (my makeup compact tells me so). When summertime comes around, not to brag, but I glow - not burn.

But why when she said that did I feel she was trying to play me?

Maybe I'll go stand beneath some fluorescent lights for a bit. Get a little bit of color going on.

Side note: I'm so glad I'm black. I don't have to worry about tanning and what have you. I'm always a nice shade of bronze. Gotta love melanin.

2 comments:

Jameil said...

my sister and play sister told me the same thing when i went home. they're both lighter than me. but they were serious. they said i was looking yellow and i'm not supposed to look like that. i used to be in the band out in the hot southern august sun for hours at a time so i'm sure that did a number on my skin they were used to. i now avoid sun at all costs. oops. perhaps they're right. i don't mind a good tan... but i don't like to be hot... what to do. what to do.

Veronica Miller Jamison said...

So y'all can tell us to go play in the sun, but we can't say the same thing back?

Discrimination, I tell ya.