Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Truth or Dare

I stumbled across this addictive game of Truth or Dare in the blogsophere the other day and wanted to try my hand at it. The dares they were throwing out, however, were a little too much for my taste, so I chickened out and chose truth.

Trish said she'd take it easy on me. My question:

What would you like to do/be when you grow up?

When I first read it, I was kind of disappointed (no offense intended, Trish). I was expecting some question where I'd have to delve into the depths of my sould to answer it properly. Instead, I got what I thought would be an easy question to answer.

Hardly.

Truth of the matter is, on paper, I am a grown up. I own my car and pay insurance. I rent my home and have household bills. I buy my own groceries and clothes. I have a budget. I work a full-time job. I have a 401K for goodness sake. But as far as knowing what I want to do with my life, I'm still in my infantile stage.

Last week, I turned 23. Not a milestone age, but important nonetheless. At 23, you can no longer blame your mistakes on your parents, teachers or the world. At 23, you're expected to know better, and to do so. At 23, your life is yours and yours alone - to cultivate or destroy as you please. My whole life I was trying to get to this point. Graduate high school. Graduate college. Become a journalist. Be successful. I never really thought much further about what success entailed or what I would do when I got it or until it came.

Like most 23 year olds, I have a job. A job that is laying the foundation for the rest of my career. I am a journalist. More specifically, a reporter. I write about any and everything in the town of West Warwick, R.I., a seemingly innocuous town with more scandal and ill-mannered people than you can shake a stick at. While each day I come to work able to do what I love - write - I've come to some realizations lately. Realizations that don't mesh kindly to the world of the bureau reporter.

Realizations like I hate politics. Therefore, I hate politicians. I hate them because they call me and nitpick about the space I allotted them in my profile of the race, or the ommission of their picture in a brief about them. Ugh, I'm getting nauseous just thinking about it.

I like painting pictures with words. Unfortunately, I haven't done it lately because of the deluge of copy they expect me to churn out in this season of last minute vacations and elections. I'm delighted when I find the exact word that conveys the meaning I want, or when a phrase accurately captures the essence of a scene. I used to play a game with some of my journo friends on who could get the most outrageous words into the paper. I'm proud to say I got kerfuffle and feckless into print.

I like explaining things. And pouring over complex documents and subjects and boiling them down to their essence. My editor says it's a strength of mine. I'd like to do more of that.

Anyway, lets bring this all back to the question at hand. So what do I want to do/be when I grow up?

I want to be a great journalist who tells amazing stories about even the most mundane of subjects. I want to recognize and tell the stories that go overlooked. I want to tell local stories, but not be so localized that all of my days are spent at sewer commission meetings and traffic board hearings. I want to write about things that matter, without having to churn out 80 inches of copy on my birthday just to fill space in the next day's paper (and yes, that really happened). I want to be able to make words flow like butter from my pen. I want to get back to the writing that I enjoy and the writing that sustains me.

That's what I want to do when I grow up.

8 comments:

Veronica Miller Jamison said...

Now you got me wanting to work for a paper so I can play your word game.

I can't put doppelganger in a broadcast wire. We ain't got time for all that.

Anonymous said...

My boss will not shut up about the 401k and how I should sign up. At first I think I was disinterested, now I'm holding out just to bug him.

I CANNOT believe you caved and became an adult...

But on the other hand, you're also one of those cool adults who gets words like "kerfuffle" and
"feckless" into print. (by the way, when I told a couple of my friends about that game they seriously questioned my ethics and asked me how I've made it to this point without being fired...)

T Dot said...

@Duck: the word game was off the chain especially when you got challenged by the editors who wanted to put a more mundane word in its place. Such sweet satisfaction, it is, to see kerfuffle in print.

@ Jess: I so need you to step your 401k game up. Do you know if you save just $50 a week now, you'll have thousands of dollars to carry you through your elder years? OMG - did I just say that? I'm really becoming an adult. Someone, take me to an amusement park and stuff me full of candy, ASAP! Oh, and your co-workers are punks. Tell them to back back.

Jarrod said...

If I put in a word more than three syllables in a script I'm getting a letter about my performance. Get out of here with that nonsense. Just typing the word performance makes me teeth itch.

Jameil said...

kerfuffle??? who the hell let you put that in print and why???? that is outrageous. another broadcaster here who can't even imagine that fun word game in a broadcast newsroom. people get bent out of shape at brouhaha and melee. oh the hilarity though to try.

Shana said...

I look forward to seeing your work in major publications in the future. I am sure that you will not only be a great journalist you will be a phenomenal one! Keep your head up and know that your dreams/goals are attainable.

Southerner in Suomi said...

What's the kerfuffle about a few big words. It's got me all discombobulated. Lol. When I get on Tals, we gonna keep a tally.

Setta B. said...

I bet you could be that person today!